The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020

These new Regulations came into force in June 2020 and cover privately rented accommodation in England (with a few exceptions) – regulations already exist in Wales and Scotland.

The Regulations require all landlords to provide proof that the electrical installation in their property or properties has/have been inspected and tested and meet the requirements of the 18th Edition of BS7671. For newly rented properties, this applied from 1st June 2020.  For existing rental properties with long-term tenants, inspection and testing should have been undertaken by 1st April 2021. The best way of providing proof of inspection and testing to the required standards is by having an EICR (Electrical Installation Conditions Report) undertaken by a competent Electrician.

A few highlights from the Regulations:

An inspection must be undertaken at least every five years or at the intervals stated on the EICR.

A copy of the report must be issued to the tenant within 28 days of the inspection.

A copy of the report must be issued to a prospective tenant within 28 days (when they have requested it in writing).

If the Local Authority request a copy, this must be supplied within 7 days.

A copy of the EICR must be retained by the landlord until the next inspection and provided to the Electrician undertaking the next inspection.

If remedial works are recommended on the report, these must be completed within 28 days of the inspection date stated on the report (or less if stated on the report).

The Electrician undertaking any remedial works must provide written confirmation these works have been completed to the landlord. This must be issued by the landlord to the tenant within 28 days.

The Local Authority has the power to issue Remedial notices if an inspection has not been undertaken, remedial works have not undertaken or the inspection has not been undertaken satisfactorily. If the landlord does not abide by the notice, they can be fined up to £30,000 per property.

The Regulations do not apply to Private Rented Accommodation where the tenant lives with the landlord, if the tenant is a relative of the landlord or if the premises is a hostel, care home or student halls of residence.

The regulations can be found here.

If you are a landlord or are thinking of renting out a domestic property, please contact me and I can go through with you your requirements as a landlord and how I can help you.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close